Monday, August 5, 2013

Cherish-Relish #5: When your 5-year-old wants you to play with her non-stop


As parents with small kids know well, the summer holidays when kids don’t go to school can be quite an intense time because the kids are there needing attention 24/7 on some days.
Today, the third day of our August long weekend here in Canada, I spent a lot of time with our five-year-old - playing, watching TV, teaching her new games, talking, drawing, writing, etc... Sometimes, parents in the same situation feel like we need and want some more time for ourselves.
In such moments, I remind myself that having a child that wants us to play with them is actually a wonderful gift to be treasured and guarded jealously as long as it lasts. There is that stage in our young children’s lives when they constantly want and need us. When that stage is over, they will eventually like to venture out on their own and put a distance between them and us. When that time comes, it’ll be us who will give anything we can in order to get their attention. When I think of that, I want to tell my daughter, “Don’t grow up too fast!” (I actually often tell her that!) Meanwhile, I come back to the present and look mindfully and lovingly at the very energetic five-year-old who wants me to play with her non-stop. I know that this present moment is priceless. I cherish and relish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment