Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cherish-Relish #8: Seeing my daughter having fun and making friends at a new camp

Today was H’s first day of her 4th camp this summer. This week, she goes to a soccer camp. Being only 5 years old, she belongs to the youngest age-group in this camp and after I said goodbye to her at the drop-off area, I wanted to make sure she was fine in a completely new setting and with people she hardly knew. So I “spied” on her during her first minutes at this camp without her knowing she was being watched.



I saw her happily practicing with a soccer ball, already having made friends with a girl in blue roughly her age. She didn’t look at all like she was shy and intimidated. I drove away knowing she would have a great day. And she did!

A big part of a parent’s job, I guess, is to expose one’s children to the wider world in stages and help them to “fly on their own.” When you see your child doing that, there is a happy feeling that springs up in your heart. I cherish and relish it. This is a gift my parents and guardians gave to me with love; this is the same precious gift I want to give my daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment